Friday, September 26, 2008

jerusalem

I was driving a few months back, on the way to the studio to do some overdubs. I Turned the radio off to spend some time with the Lord. He brought to mind this passage. Matthew 23:37-39

"O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, you who kill the prophets and stone those sent to you, how often I have longed to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, but you were not willing. Look, your house is left to you desolate. For I tell you, you will not see me again until you say, 'Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord.'

I spent some time thinking about this. The distress Jesus is very evident in this passage. The idea of him desiring to gather us together, to hold us close to himself really floored me. When I got to the studio (which I had been to every day for the past month). I noticed for the first time that it was right next door to a funeral home. In the same glance I saw a two women walking. They were going towards the funeral home. They were clearly overcome with grief, I assumed because of a loss of a loved one. As soon as that thought entered my mind, the Lord again pointed me again towards that passage in Matthew. I remembered the passion behind Jesus' words, and then I understood. Like a family who has lossed a loved one, Christ mourns our rebellion, and our unwillingness to accept his plans for us. He desperately wants to hold us close, but we are so wrapped up in our own issues we fail to realize this. Or we do realize this and ignore his call altogether. In a simple act of letting go we are given the gift of the Sprit of God. With that gift comes healing, the power for change, and a peace incomprehensible.
I want to be the kind of person that God can gather underneath his wings, but I know that I am probably the one who kills the prophets and stones those who are meant to encourage or guide me. This song I believe is a cry from the heart of God to his people. Let me hold you, let me draw you into my presence, let me heal your broken bones, and let me remove the scales from your eyes. He loves us. And wants for us to desire to be near to him. ponder that

to listen to the song i wrote in response to this go HERE
Posted by andrew cherry at 2:21 PM |  
Labels: ,

0 comments:

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)